Coalition for Innovation, Circularity and Entrepreneurship (CICE)
SEED is setting up the foundations for a Coalition which will serve as a Voice of SMEs
Based on SEED’s 20-year experience and of other SMEs related initiatives, many SME-led resources efficient and nature positive innovations were identified, ready for replication and scale. However, scaling these innovations requires adequate enabling conditions with supportive technical and financial resources as well as tailored non-financial support.
The Coalition for Innovation, Circularity and Entrepreneurship (CICE) will serve as a Voice of SMEs, while providing needed enabling services. It will move SMEs from the edge to the centre of attention of the global sustainability discourse and will enhance the capacities and finance-access for scale-ready SMEs fuelled by collective actions with value chain, policy-making and finance partners accelerating the transition to a low-carbon, circular and inclusive economy. In doing this, the Coalition will build on the existing groundwork of Coalition partners consisting of business associations, SME/industry networks, larger companies, governments and international organisations. The Coalition will focus its work mainly to SME-led Resources Efficient, Decarbonising, Circular and Nature-positive Innovations (“Net-positive SMEs”).
The Coalition for Innovation, Circularity and Entrepreneurship/CICE will:
- Support and Enable SMEs in developing technological as well as system/strategy innovative solutions, and where possible in implementing them.
- Scale-up and Replicate, leveraging the work of SME-lead Resources Efficient, Decarbonising, Circular and Nature-positive Innovations (“Net-positive”) by connecting them with larger companies, policy makers and financiers.
- Provide global Voice of SMEs, catalysing global actions through collaborative platforms, dedicated fora and active communication, while building next generation net-positive innovations to accelerate progress and synergies in the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and the Paris Agreement goals.
- Induce and empower SMEs in digital transformation: Enhance system-wide innovation, identifying ambitious transformative actions, capitalising on collective expertise and resources of private and public stakeholders to accelerate implementation at scale, contributing to the effective delivery of the SDGs.
The CICE will be presented at the Fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA-5.2), in particular by SEED's Executive Director Arab Hoballah through the events on:
- Accelerating a Just Transition to a Circular Economy in Africa, 28 February 2022
- Delivering for People and Nature: The One Planet Network is Changing How We Think, Act and Inspire Sustainable Consumption and Production, 1 March 2022
The concept note "Coalition for Innovation, Circularity and Entrepreneurship/CICE - The Voice of SMEs for Green Climate Action" can be downloaded here.